Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Plea to the Yankees: Tigers Edition


There are reports coming out that the Detroit Tigers are considering trading Edwin Jackson and trading Curtis Granderson. If so, I plea, PLEA to the Yankees to trade for not one, but both of them.

Here is why:

Curtis Granderson would eliminate the Yankees need to re-sign Johnny Damon, or Hideki Matsui, and he would add pop to the lineup AND speed. Granderson, who hit .249 with 30 HR and 71 RBI, is only 28 years old. Granderson was signed to a five-year, $30.25 million deal with a club option for 2013 with the Tigers in February 2008. The Yankees could easily pay that contract.

Edwin Jackson was an all-star in 2009. He went 13-9 with a 3.62 ERA. The Yankees could use Jackson as their 3rd starter, which would eliminate the need to sign a John Lackey, or Jason Marquis type of pitcher. Jackson is being paid about $2 Million a year.

So the question remains: What would it take to get BOTH in a trade?

Here is my offer:

CC Sabathia, Alex Rodriguez, and Derek Jeter for Curtis Granderson and Edwin Jackson.

Kidding.

Here is my REAL offer:

Melky Cabrera, Reegie Corona, Josh Schmidt, and Austin Romine for Curtis Granderson and Edwin Jackson.

Is that too much? Too little? Good trade? Bad trade? Explain in the comments!

UPDATE: 2:01 PM: Apparently I don't know enough about prospects, as it seems like it will take either one of the Yankees big prospects (Hughes, Joba) and an additional prospect/OR a bunch of major prospects such as Zach McAllister, Ian Kennedy, etc.

7 comments:

Dan said...

I can,t say if it would be a good or bad trade, sounds ok, but with Damon and Melky gone who would play LF? Free agent I guess. Gardner is good for late inning PR and defense but not a starter.

Brandon said...

I like Gardy as a starter actually due to the speed factor and the fact that he can score whenever he gets on base. I guess for left they would have gardner hold it over until Austin Jackson is ready

P-Cat said...

Not sure. Granderson takes up a spot in the outfield for a long time, and I'm not sure I want Granderson bogged up in the Yankee outfield for that long. I do know I do NOT want to give up Austin Romine. He is a better pure catching prospect than Montero who the Yankees feel will eventually get moved out of the 2-spot. Wouldn't mind giveing Jackson a shot. Less enthusiastic about Granderson.

Stephen A. Crociata said...

This has been exactly what I've been saying sign Mike Cameron so Granderson plays LF and Cameron becomes the bridge to AJAX when he is ready!

Brandon said...

Granderson is made for Yankee Stadium. Hit most of his HR as a lefty and with the short porch he'll love it here. I'll do Romine or Montero, either or. Never been a fan of Cameron, but I definitely understand your point. Thanks for reading!

Doug said...

I would offer Kennedy, Gardner and a couple lesser prospects, as Granderson can't hit lefties, so Melky can platoon with him.

Brandon said...

I don't mind that trade, but I like Gardy as a speed guy off the bench....no point in trading him....maybe instead of either give away Reegie Corona or Colin Curtis