YANKEES - Andy Pettite
"I threw 3 bullpens since my last start. I'm hoping that's going to keep me feeling really sharp"
- 2009 Regular Season - 14-8, 32 GS, 4.16 ERA
- Pettite is 12-10 for his career against the Angels, but historically has struggled in Angel Stadium. This year he posted a 0-2 record with a mammoth ERA of 7.84.
- Of course Pettite has the experience card on his side, with a 15 and 9 record in the postseason, he has over 218 postseason innings under his belt.
ANGELS - Jered Weaver
"You know, they've got guys 1 through 9 that can hurt you. But so did Boston."
- A successful 2009 season with a record of 16-8, 33 GS, 3.75 ERA.
- Weaver has been stellar at home where he’s lowered his overall ERA by almost an entire point: 9-3, 17 GS, 2.90 ERA
- His career record against the Yankees is 4-2 through 7 games with a 4.88 ERA, In 2009 he split 2 games against New York with an ERA of 5.59.
COMMENTARY: Once again Andy Pettite is asked to set the tone for the Yankees as they head into their first away game of the series. Pettitte is headed into a venue where he’s had no wins this season and is 6-7 with a 4.19 ERA for his career, but he is one win shy of having the most wins in postseason history which speaks to how prolific he’s been when it counts the most. Pettitte can make his struggles in Angel Stadium a thing of the past, but the Bronx Bombers must liven up their bats in order to make this happen.