Friday, August 28, 2009

September-Call Up Options

I recently commented on a Chad Jennings blog post and asked him who he thought would be called up in September, if Ramiro Pena could play CF in the MLB yet, and if Austin Jackson could play all three outfield positions.

Here was his response:

The call-up situation changed today with the announcement that Joba Chamberlain will be pitching every five days, but only going a few innings at a time. That likely means more pitchers going up than I originally expected.

Of the five pitchers on the 40-man -- Melancon, Claggett, Ramirez, Albaladejo and Dunn -- I now think three will go up on September 1 and the other two will go after the season. I'll take a guess that Albaladejo is the one most likely to go up on September 1.

Postion players, I think only Cervelli and Pena will go up on September 1. After the season, I think Duncan, Miranda and maybe Jackson.Pena looks good in center field, but I wouldn't have him start a game there in New York. Maybe late in a game that's already decided. For a guy who's hardly played the position, playing center field in a big league ballpark is going to be quite a bit different from a minor league park.

No doubt Jackson can play all three spots in the big leagues right now and be well above average defensively.

No comments: